Whether you are at risk for periodontal disease or are noticing that your teeth are very sensitive, you need to take steps to reduce the risk of receding gums. Gum recession is one of the side effects of gum disease but some people develop receding gums when brushing their teeth using the wrong technique, or if they have a habit of clenching and grinding their teeth. Any activities or tendencies that wear down the gum tissue or make the gums tender can cause the gums to recede. However, there are several things that you can do to prevent receding gums and maintain optimal oral health.
How to Prevent Receding Gums
If you are concerned about gum recession and other issues related to your oral health, [DOCTOR] in [CITYSTATE] can provide you with recommendations to prevent receding gums and periodontal disease during your consultation. Some of the best ways to prevent receding gums include:
- Using Proper Brushing Techniques - Applying too much pressure when brushing, using the wrong toothbrush, or brushing with the wrong angle can damage the gums permanently and contribute to recession of the gum tissue.
- Avoid Clenching or Grinding the Teeth - Many people clench and grind their teeth without even realizing it. If you are doing this while you sleep or throughout the day, you may be at risk for damaging your gums.
- Seeking Treatment for Misalignment - A misaligned bite or crooked teeth can put more pressure on certain areas of the mouth and damage the gums.
- Breaking Habits that Irritate the Gums - Breaking a smoking habit or the habit of chewing on foreign objects can reduce the risk of wearing down and damaging the gum tissue.
- Wearing a Nightguard - Protect your gums and teeth and reduce pressure on the jaw by wearing a nightguard while sleeping. This is especially effective for people who tend to grind or clench their teeth at night.
Gum recession can result from periodontal disease or from engaging in parafunctional habits. For more tips on preventing receding gums or to learn more about periodontal disease treatment options, set up a consultation with [DOCTOR] in [CITYSTATE] today!